As soon as I made those Almond Scones, I KNEW I needed biscuits and gravy! So, I decided to pull out my trusty recipe for SOS (Sh*t On A Shingle) and see if I could make it so I could actually consume this without blowing my carb count for the week. I think I did pretty good! I used 1/2 the flour (I have no low carb thickeners in the house) and half and half instead of milk. It actually tasted spot on, just didn’t become glue once cold!
I’ve been making this recipe for years (well, was until the diagnosis and now am happy I can have this occasionally) and, if you want some sausage gravy instead, just substitute the ground beef for bulk sausage and replace the Worcestershire sauce with 1/4 teaspoon (roughly) of ground sage.
MAKJ Lower Carb SOS (or Sausage Gravy)
Roughly 8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (or bulk sausage)
- 2 Tablespoons flour (or thickener of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon (or cube) of beef bouillon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1/4 cups half and half (or heavy cream … maybe mixed with some cold water?, to lower the carbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or substitute with dried sage for sausage gravy)
Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in flour, bouillon (if using soup base, mix with a little warmed milk … tastes nasty if it doesn’t dissolve and you end up with chunks), salt and pepper. Saute all together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot!
Entered into My Fitness Pal as “MAKJ Lower Carb SOS (or Sausage Gravy)”
These counts are for the ground beef:
Calories: 194 Carbohydrates: 5 Fats: 16 Protein: 7 Fiber: 0